Hamster of the Month Winner - April 2024
Theme: Flowers
Congratulations, Saturn and ForgetfulBreeze!
-Saturn-

To see all the April HOTM entries click HERE or to submit your hamster for the May HOTM HERE

Having an absurdly hard time taming my robo

For basic methods of taming and how to pick your hamster safely and for behavioral questions.
ForgetfulBreeze
Hamster Pal
Hamster Pal
Reactions:
Current number of hamsters: 5
Total hamsters owned: >10

Having an absurdly hard time taming my robo

Post by ForgetfulBreeze »

So, I'm having a really really difficult time taming my robo. I got him (Dash) February 20th this year.

So, when I go near him, he bolts as fast as he can run away. Like so fast. And when I stay still, he freezes in his hide and gets ready to run. He NEVER has taken a treat from me. He seems so terrified of me.

I honestly have just given up and let him do whatever he wants. I leave treats down, and after a few minutes he comes and gets it, but he just is so scared.

When I get him in a hide/tunnel and put him on my hand, he literally flies off my hand. Runs as fast as he can and soars through the air. I'm worried he'll get hurt if I do this.

I'm thinking maybe getting him out in a playpen? But at the same time, I'll have to chase him into a cup to even get him out, which'll make him more scared.

Any tips to basically start over with him? Or do you think he will be a "don't touch/watch" hamster? (I'm okay with that, as I have 2 severe biters and one who sometimes bites).

Also, I'm maybe thinking of decreasing his cage size until he's a bit more tame, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. I can put him in a 600/650 sq inch cage. He's in a 950-1000 sq inch cage right now, with 1/2 sand. I also need to make some platforms so he can have more places to hide.

Thanks.
Kikya
Escaped Hamster
Escaped Hamster
Reactions:
Current number of hamsters: 2

Re: Having an absurdly hard time taming my robo

Post by Kikya »

Have you tried the box method? That is what I did with my robos and it worked really well. I do think Robos within a larger cage just go wild but you can take them out for training sessions:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9_Y ... 6o-fIKE07F
hotglue01
Hamster New Friend
Hamster New Friend
Reactions:
Current number of hamsters: 1
Total hamsters owned: 2

Post by hotglue01 »

I'm sorry to hear this...

My Buttercup was really skittish of me for a few months, too, but now he's docile and loves to get picked up + get kisses. In the days when he wouldn't let me touch him at all I used to talk to him a lot, saying his name again and again and offering him treats. I think animals can tell when the love is there, and call me a foolish optimist but I believe showing that love will help your robo trust you. And I know you're very loving toward him! Dash is lucky to have an owner who takes the time to come to the Clubhouse. <3

Good luck!
Proud Mama of BUTTERCUP! <3

Aslan was my beautiful, golden, Syrian angel boy, currently running in the big wheel in the sky on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge <3
ForgetfulBreeze
Hamster Pal
Hamster Pal
Reactions:
Current number of hamsters: 5

Post by ForgetfulBreeze »

I've been getting him out in a large bathtub and talking to him + getting him used to my hands. He still wont go near my hands, but he will eat some pumpkin seeds I lay out for him. It's progress!